Skills, Transitional Support, Respect, Integrity, Direction, Employment – The STRIDE program is a statewide workforce development program that provides transitional support to non-custodial parents both pre and post release in CT correctional facilities that they operate out of. STRIDE offers a holistic approach to employment and reunification with families in their perspective communities.
STRIDE is a unique, state funded transitional support workforce development program operating within the Quinebaug Valley Community College’s Administrative Services Division . This program serves a targeted group of incarcerated men and women, both pre- and post-release, from three correctional facilities in Connecticut:
- York Correctional Institution, Niantic, CT
- Corrigan-Radgowski Correctional Center in Uncasville, CT
- Willard-Cybulski Correctional Institution Reintegration Unit in Enfield, CT
STRIDE is designed to provide participants with job readiness, job search, job placement, and job retention skills and support that will promote access to higher paying, personally relevant jobs.
Participants receive one-on-one counseling and group support as well as pre and post-release case management services. In addition, community transition plans address barriers and needs regarding housing, transportation, clothing and family reunification.
STRIDE is made possible through the collaborative efforts of Connecticut’s visionary state legislators and the CT Departments of Correction, Labor, and Social Services Welfare to Work Initiative.
To participate in the STRIDE program, participants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be currently incarcerated at one of the participating STRIDE correctional facilities
- Must be a non-custodial parent of a child under the age of 25
- You or your children are now or have been recipients of any CT state assistance program such as TFA, LIA (SAGA), HUSKY, SNAP
- Must be committed to becoming employed and plan to remain in the state of Connecticut
- Must be able to make and keep scheduled appointments with STRIDE staff, both on a pre and post-release basis
Over the course of ten weeks, participants will learn the following:
- Attitude → Motivation → Change
- Identify Your Skills
- What Do Employers Want & Expect
- Job Search Strategies
- Applications, Resumes & Cover Letters
- Interview Skills
- Success on the Outside