Medical Assisting Course of Study
- ENG 101 Composition, 3 credits
- MAT 137 Intermediate Algebra, 3 credits
- MED 125 Medical Terminology, 3 credits
- CSA 105 Intro. to Software Applications, 3 credits
- HLT 111 Basic Life Support, 1 credit
HLT 170 Medical Law and Ethics, 3 credits*
*this is suggested, not required.
- BIO 121 Biology 1, 4 credits
- MED 111 Administrative Medical Assisting, 3 credits
- MED 131 Clinical Medical Assisting, 3 credits
- General Elective, 3 credits
- BIO 211 Anatomy & Physiology I, 4 credits
- LAS elective, 3 credits
- MED 245 Clinical Lab Procedures, 4 credits
- MED 216 Electronic Health Records, 3 credits
- MED 112 Medical Insurance & Billing, 3 credits
- BIO 212 Anatomy & Physiology II, 4 credits
- MED 250 Pharmacology, 3 credits
- PSY/SOC/ANT elective, 3 credits
- MED 280 Medical Assisting Externship, 4 credits
Additional Program Information
- Please note, this is a suggested plan of study for a full-time student. Part-time students may have their schedule adjusted accordingly. Students must meet with their academic advisor prior to registering for any core MED courses.
- Some courses are offered online while some may be offered as a hybrid course (meet on campus once a week and the rest of the work is done online)
- Students must earn a B- or better in all MED courses prior to be eligible for the Medical Assisting Externship. Students are required to show proof of physical examination; MMR, varicella and Hepatitis B immunity; Tetanus shot within past 5 years; and a negative TB test prior to being accepted for any internship courses. Externship sites may require students to undergo a criminal background check.
- Students may need additional courses in remedial math and/or English.