Find Print Books
QV Research - Search Physical Books
Get Started with Background Research.
- Credo Reference – 790+ e-reference books in all subject areas. Use instead of Wikipedia for quick information.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library – 300+ e-reference books in all subject areas. Use instead of Wikipedia for longer reference articles.
- Encyclopedia Britannica – The complete Encyclopaedia Britannica, including news and multimedia. Updated daily.
Add Depth and Breadth with Academic Books
Read online; search within ebooks; download chapters or sections; highlight, annotate, and save your notes; grab suggested citations and permanent links.
- Ebook Central (formerly Ebrary) – 280,000+ academic ebooks in all subject areas. A user-friendly interface.
- Ebsco eBooks – 160,000+ academic ebooks in all subject areas, from EbscoHost.
- De Gruyter University Press eBook Collection Over 5,000 academic books from Harvard, Yale, Univ of Chicago, and other university presses. When you land on the De Gruyter book list, add your search terms to the second search box.
- Quick Guide to Downloading Ebooks
Consider Primary Source Documents
- Britannica’s Original Sources – Primary source documents in a wide range of subject areas.
- Black Freedom Struggle in the United States – A collection of 2,000 documents curated around six crucial phases of struggle. Open source provided by ProQuest.
Find E-Books on the Internet
- Internet Archive’s Open Library of 10,000 public domain books, most from the 20th century.
- Bartleby.com Public domain books in a range of subject areas.
- Project Gutenberg – 45,000+ public domain books in a range of subject areas.
- World Factbook – Information about 267 world governments. Published by the CIA.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook – Career information from the Department of Labor.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States – U.S. statistics in all areas. Note: this government publication ceased online publication effective 10/1/11. Current Statistical Abstracts are available in print in the library.